Five Ways Essential Oils Deter Mosquitoes
An important use for our Biodynamic organic lavender essential oil is to deter mosquitoes. Mosquitoes and other insects hate the scent, and you can rest assured that you are not poisoning yourself—or your child—when you use it. I think of it as a non-violent approach to what can be a very annoying situation at the very least, not to mention the specter of mosquito borne diseases. Here are five ways that work to keep those mosquitoes out of your life!
- Mist your hand with the essential oil and rub the essential oil directly on your exposed skin. The essential oil is Biodynamic and contains no additives. It has the added benefit of balancing the nervous system, acting as a tonic or a relaxant, depending on what your system needs. A very few people report some sensitivity to the oil, so make sure you test a spot to make sure you are not one of these!
- Some people prefer to mist their clothing. Test first to make sure that the essential oil does not stain.
- Add a few drops of the essential to water in a diffuser. Use this in your bedroom early in the evening before you sleep. It provides the triple function of protection against mosquitoes, protection against airborne bacteria, and a sleep aid. I use a soapstone diffuser with a candle, so I am careful about leaving it burning all night and blow the candle out before sleep.
- Lightly mist your sheets. Again, this helps sleep.
- Wipe your windowsills with the essential oil. Meet them where they enter!
Plants offer us so much. Learning to accept the healing and protection of their gifts helps bring us back in balance with the earth.